- It is critical to intervene whilst the child is still malleable, which ensures a healthy self-concept formation with self-esteem, confidence, values and morals.
- Build refusal skills so as to not emulate poor role models in the environment.
- Acquire inner judgement to emerge as a productive adult and an upstanding citizen.
Create awareness on nutrition and healthy dietary practices which positively affect their growth, development and daily activities.
Once the child gets into bad habits due to a poor value system or because of compromised morals and attitudes, the child drops out of school with poor life outcomes in the future. Compromised nutrition leading to sub-optimal engagement in academics, extra-curricular activities, further exacerbates the problem of drop out.
- With an aim to improve the nutritional status of children from municipal schools, Salaam Bombay Foundation has introduced Project ‘KHANA’- Project on School Based Health and Nutrition. The objectives of this project are as follows:
- To increase the awareness on healthy nutrition and balanced diet among children and parents
- To increase the awareness among parents about affordable food substitutes having rich nutritive value
- To increase awareness among children and parents on hygiene to be maintained during eating, handling, cooking and storing the food